What It Does
Here’s – specifically – what Tacoma Creates would mean for Tacomans.
- Expanded glass art-making and exhibition opportunities for a broader spectrum of teens. The current Arts Connect program at Hilltop Artists currently just serves teen girls in the juvenile justice and foster care systems.
- Free tickets for students to attend Destiny City Film Festival screenings.
- All Tacoma elementary students could learn the importance of civil rights and standing up for each other through the live theater Civil Rights Legacy Tour produced by Broadway Center for the Performing Arts.
PROMOTES ECONOMIC GROWTH
- More teaching artists could be hired by Write253 to expand reach from 3 schools into all 11 Tacoma middle schools.
- Latin arts and culture markets coordinated by Centro Latino could expand into more business districts.
- New community-built festivals, likeReggae On The Way which launched in 2017 between 56th and 54th streets on South Tacoma Way, could be sustained and could grow.
- Transportation assistance to classrooms could allow more 4th grade students to experience Tacoma’s history first-hand at the Job Carr Cabin Museum.
- Young children and their families seeking shelter at Tacoma Rescue Mission could join a Children’s Museum of Tacoma’s Play to Learn program, where parents and children play and learn together. The children and parents could then bridge that support service with a Play to Learn program in a neighborhood where they can secure housing.
Stay informed about Tacoma Creates and how we’re working to help our communities thrive. We’ll share other stories, too, about activities and events that help make our city a better place to live.
Show your support. Help us provide more access to arts, culture, science and heritage programs. Your donation amount will help our children and youth. You’ll help make our neighborhoods better places to live and work.
We need your help. Give your time and talents and together we can help make our beautiful city an even better place to live. We have opportunities for everyone. It’s easy and fun.